Friday, August 7, 2015

And then the First Day happened...

So, about 2 weeks ago I totally planned out my blog posts for this month and I had a classroom reveal down for today.... and then Back-to-School/First Day happened....with a little bit of mom-paperwork-and-supplies-for-two-kids was thrown in as well.

So instead.. take a look at these awesome rekenreks that I made this summer!


They were really easy to make! Half of the paint sticks were drilled before hand and half were drilled afterwards... it honestly didn't make a difference either way.


These are the measurements:

I really eye balled it mostly but about a thumb width apart.

16 cm apart length wise


When I went back to measure, they were about 1 cm apart.



Afterwards, I simply threaded 5 red and 5 white on each pipe cleaner...




I did get a couple of questions on Facebook when I shared these. This is what the back looks like. I simply twisted the pipe cleaners together, clipped them, and then (later) applied a dab of hot glue to secure it.


I'm looking forward to using them this year. Especially to use them with my large teacher rekenrek!!

I use the book Number Talks to guide these activities:



Several people have commented about where I got this great idea: Kathy Griffin! She has awesome ideas. Make sure to check her out for others:






post signature

1 comment: